Have you been offered severance pay in New Jersey? We can help guide you through the process. Most people who have just been offered a severance package or severance pay begin by asking the following questions:
- Why was I selected for the lay off?
- Do I have a potential lawsuit against the company for terminating my employment?
- How did they determine the amount of severance pay?
- Are there laws in New Jersey regarding the amount of severance pay?
- Can I negotiate with my former employer to try and increase the severance pay and benefits contained in the severance package.
Our severance attorneys will walk through each of these questions with you as part of our review our your severance package. The answer to each of these questions will depend on your specific circumstances. You may not know why you were selected for the reduction-in-force or layoff, but we will work with you to see whether there may a potential claim against the company.
The amount of severance pay depends on the company, years of service, policy, etc. Some companies do not offer any guaranteed amount of severance pay. Other companies will allow for any employee who is not terminated for good cause to receive a certain amount of severance pay for each year of